Diagnosis of child with painful urination despite negative urine infection test?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
My 4-year old complains that it hurts when he pees. This started this on Saturday and we took him to the doctor on Monday and his urine test for infection came back negative. Doctor suggested he was constipated and he told us to give him Mylarax. My son started on that Monday and he has been pooping twice on Monday (only a little bit but didn't seen to be a hard stool), Tuesday (loose stool once) and today (twice also loose). However he still complains that it hurts. No fever, no other symptoms, eating normal, active. Urine is normal in color and in volume. He goes more often than normal. Also, the pain seems to appear no when he starts peeing but at the end where he suddenly stops and he says that it hurts. No injuries in that area. What other diagnostic can be?, should be wait longer until Miralax completely work?. Thanks
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: X-ray and sonography to confirm stone in bladder. Detailed Answer: Hi. Such symptoms of pain at the end while urinating is quite classical of a stone in the urinary bladder. The urine test may be normal and there may be no fever. The simple test would be to go for the X-ray of the abdomen and ultrasonography and I hope will get the right diagnosis. From this report Urologist will be in a position to tell the further management.
Follow-up: Diagnosis of child with painful urination despite negative urine infection test? 42 hours later
Hi, Doctors tested his urine to see if they can find some blood that would indicate that maybe he has a stone and results were normal. What do you suggest? Thanks
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 hours later
Brief Answer: X-ray/ Sonography to confirm. Detailed Answer: Hi. It is good to do urine test. Please go ahead with definite tests like X-ray and / or Sonography.