Diagnosed with vitiligo on hands. Prescribed methoxsalen, uv therapy. Have blood and protein in urine. Vitiligo sign and urine problem related?

Hi..I appreciate your mother has recently some signs of vitiligo on her hands.just 3 or 4 small white spots.the dermatologist gave her methoxsalen with uv I have 2 it really possible to block its spread?and how?I am really worried for her.
2.during last 6 months before appearance of these spots on her hand she has done lots ot tests because there a bit of blood and protein in her urine..she did lot of experiments and everything was right with her kidney and her bladder and they did ctscan and there was no tumor.she has no other symptoms like weight loss..nothing..and she has diabet but it is not high at all..she takes a half of pill every it possible that these urine problems and Vitiligo sighn relate together somehow?maybe some problem with glands?she is 64 years old.
the final question is that should her visit any other doctor other than Dermatologist?like a gland specialist?
I appreciate it..thanks alot
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Yes, there are modalities to control the spread or vitiligo sometimes cures too.

You have already employed one amongst such treatments. Methoxsalen or Psoralen with UV treatment is old standard and has high response. There are other modalities like corticosteroids, melanocyte transplantation etc with good response rates.

No, I do not believe that the urine problem she had could be related to the Vitiligo she developed. Vitiligo occurs at the cellular or enzyme level, the cause of which is difficult to find out.

I do recommend you to visit a dermatologist rather than a endocrinologist.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.