Diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency. Should I go for arachitol injection or fosamax plus?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Through a blood test I was diagnosed as having a vitamin D deficiency <25. I have been offered a choice of infusion of Arachitol or the use of fosfamax plus - one tab a week. What are the pros and cons of these options.

I was informed that one of the possible but unlikely side effects is a deterioration of the jaw bone?

My age is 66
I have avoided light for two years because I have severe photophobia, which I thin is not resolving.

Thank you

Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
Arachitol is vitamin D 3 injection and if it is used in appropriate doses, is not associated with any side effects. It is a completely safe option. In excessive doses hyperphosphataemia(increased phosphate levels) or hypercalcaemia(increased levels of calcium) can be seen.
Fosfamax plus is a combination of vitamin D 3 and bisphosphonate. It helps in decreasing the deterioration caused by osteoporosis. It is associated with side effects like diarrhea, headaches, constipation, jaw or tooth problems, severe heartburn, etc.
Your orthopedcian will help you in choosing the best option for you.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency. Should I go for arachitol injection or fosamax plus? 54 minutes later

You speak of Arachitol as a vitamin D 3 injection. I was told I would be receiving an infusion. Is that the same thing? What are the criteria to use when choosing between the two options (Fosfamax plus and arachitol) ?

How many Arachitol injections would I need before retesting Vitamin D Levels?
How often should I have the injections? Is this likely to be a lifelong committment?

If I choose Fosamax plus should I take this in combination with vitamin D tablets?
If so, which brand and strength, how often, and for how many months or years?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Vitamin D 3 injection is same as infusion. The best option of treatment is chosen based on the clinical signs and symptoms. If radiologically, osteoprotic changes have been detected then Fosamax plus should be preferred.
Vitamin D3 injections are given on weekly basis and usually six weeks therapy is needed to see a change in the serum vitamin D 3 levels.
The treatment is not lifelong. Extra Vitamin D3 supplementation with fosamax plus depends on your Vitamin D3 levels.
The dosage, frequency and duration of treatment depends on the severity of the illness and need a regular clinical assessment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.