Diagnosed with visual snow. All medical test negative. Related to environmental issues?

My son (16 years old) has been diagnosed with Visual Snow. We have seen 2 nuerologists and nuero opthalmologist, MRI, EEG, EKG endless Dr. appts, allergy testing all results negative. Can Visual Snow be related to TMJ? My son is now in Australia with his father hoping that whatever is causing this Visual Snow may be related to the environment. He is spending his high school sophomore year in Queensland instead of the Northwest Washington USA. We are desperate.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
There are few questions you have to answer before i can offer some help.
How long does this snow last.
Is it followed by headache.
Duration and interval of these attacks.
The distribution of this snow,os it semicircular.
How long has he been having it.
Apparently this is a prodromal XXXXXXX of migrain,which may or may not be followed by headache.
Since he has already been seen by specialists there is nothing much wrong with the child.
He can well be managed by lifestyle mamnagement regimn supported by some anti migrain tt if necessary.
There does not seem to be much cause of worry.
Please do get back to me with some more information.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with visual snow. All medical test negative. Related to environmental issues? 6 hours later
His Visual Snow has been persistent since mid January 2012. He had one Visual Snow attack and it stayed. It is a persistant visual XXXXXXX It is static and light and dark images all around his periphery. He can see clearly inside a small 2" hole where he can focus. He has had no headache. The opthalmologists say it is not related to migraine and his retina is fine. I am now wondering if it is an autoimmune disorder related to food allergies. Changing environments altogether was our only hope at this point. Straight A student, popular, musical, athelete, secretary of his class. His world is now crushed. He has been seeing a psychiatrist who supplies him with coping skills as his panic attacks have gotten severe, suicidal. We have much cause to worry. Where to go from here? Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
thanks for getting back to us
differential diagnosis for such tunnel vision is retinitis pigmentosa(sine pimento) ,advanced glaucoma and sudden blood loss and drug reaction to hallucinogenic drugs.
Of these he has to be investigated for RP which is to be aimed at rest of diagnosis are more theoretical
please keep me posted of any further development..