Diagnosed with viral myocardial infection. On medication. Noticed swelling in neck. Any thoughts?

Hello I was diagnosed with viral myocardial infection in may I began taking meds bisoprolol 5 mg and telismartan 40 mg in may then in July I noticed my neck was swollen across front of neck from bottom of chin to top of collarbone around both sides from ear to ear it is not painful but it feels like it is harder to breath as it pushes on windpipe it lasted about 3-4 days then left. It then came back end of July and I have had it consistenly for 7-8 days the same area at night it goes down when I am sleeping thru the day it gets worse the more I do my ejection fraction is 38% my dr thinks it could be a reaction to the telimsartan but she doesn t want to change my meds so she said let's see if it goes away. Any thoughts??
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 2 hours later

Yes, your physician rightly said as one of the side effects of telmisartan is unexplained painless swelling of the head or neck (may include face, lips, tongue, or throat) which is waxing and waning in nature and not associated with swelling of mucus membrane. This swelling is usually not an indicator of dose reduction or change of drug. The frequency and intensity of swelling gradually decreases and most of the cases become cured within 6-8 months of therapy.

But this should be differentiated with Angioedema which is also a side effect of telmisartan. Angioedema or Quincke's edema is the rapid swelling (oedema) of the dermis, subcutaneous tissue, mucus and sub mucosal tissues. It should be treated as a medical emergency, as airway obstruction and suffocation can occur.

Consult with your physician and follow his advice for further management.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly