Diagnosed with viral flu. Symptoms are bouts of shivering, no appetite, headache and pains. Suggest?

I have been diagnosed with viral flu. My symptoms are violent bouts of shivering .Constantly hot & cold. No appetite. Headache & aches & pains I have no sneezing or coughing
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms you have are due to a benign type of viral syndrome. Viruses in the environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms.

These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night). You can also start with acetaminophen double strength after meals every 8 hourly for symptomatic relief.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.