Diagnosed with uric acid. Suggest what food should be incorporated in meals?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
I would like to know which foods one should avoid when diagnosed with high uric acid levels in the blood. Please advise also on which foods are helpful and should be included in the diet.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 1 hour later

Uric Acid is produced as a result of purine digestion and its levels should be kept under check to avoid complications like Gout.

Include plenty of fibrous foods and salads made with split and washed pulses, vegetables and fruits like celery, tomato, cabbage, pineapple and berries, non-fatty salads, whole cereals like wheat etc. The dietary fibers absorb uric acid and aids in its elimination.

You may replace the regular Vinegar with XXXXXXX cider vinegar, for management of high uric acid levels.

Limiting the intake of red meat, organs, alcohol, processed and fermented oils, whole pulses like kidney beans, channa etc. would be helpful as these produce higher quantities of uric acid after the digestion. Avoid vegetables like green peas, French beans, egg plant, cauliflower and mushroom, restrict the intake of fruits like, sapota and custard XXXXXXX to manage the high uric acid levels.

Consider the following also –

•     Drink plenty of water,
•     Reduce the salt intake
•     Avoid processed and bakery food
•     Include coffee and tea in the diet
•     Always consume low fay dairy products
•     Do not combine two or more foods mentioned in the foods to avoid list.

To improve the blood hemoglobin profile consume Lean portions of red meat, dark green leafy vegetables, egg, dry apricots, whole wheat bread, dry Fruits like prunes and raisins, beans, lentil, chick peas and soy bean, Rice Flakes with lemon, Pumpkin seeds and watermelon seeds, honey ( use in controlled amounts), Green onion, beetroot and reddish in your diet. And consume plenty of vitamin .C XXXXXXX foods like orange, gooseberry, lemon etc.
Avoid taking milk and its products with iron XXXXXXX foods.

Hope this satisfies your query.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with uric acid. Suggest what food should be incorporated in meals? 6 hours later

Thanks for your reply. I found some of your reply very confusing, when you say to avoid "whole pulses like kidney beans, channa, etc." but then go on to say that to improve the hemoglobin profile, one should consume "beans, lentil, chick peas and soy bean". Chick peas are the same thing as channa. And soy bean are among the most protein-rich beans, and we have been told to avoid excess protein.

So I'm not completely satisfied with the reply. If you could please clear this up I would appreciate it. And also if you could tell me whether or not mangos are ok for lowering high uric acid levels. Thanks
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 16 hours later

The iron XXXXXXX food sources are to be consumed in moderation. your main aim is to take care of the uric acid through the regulated protein intake. And if your activity levels and the fluid intake is good, you may include, in moderation, the foods that are protein sources as well.

There are mixed studies and results on mango and its effect on uric acid levels. Therefore, consume it in moderate quantities only.