Diagnosed with urethritis. Getting painful erection. Are they related?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
My urologist says I have urethritis but lately I have been very painful and have been u able to get a rock hard erection could they be connected I am 30 and have no known health problems I do masturbate a lot could I have damaged something??
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you are suffering from urethritis. It is quite natural to have pain. Most commonly, pain is felt during passing urine and during erection.

So, do not worry right now. In case of any injury related to excessive masturbation, you should find a hematoma or swelling over the penile shaft. Even, you may experience reddish urine.

You should do a routine urine examination for confirmation of the infection. You should repeat the test after completion of the antibiotic.

So, you have to take a broad spectrum antibiotic like azithromycin or doxycycline for this urethritis.

After completion of the course of antibiotic, if you still experience the pain, then you have to consult with your treating doctor for ordering necessary investigations and further management.

Till then, take the antibiotic. And do not worry.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with urethritis. Getting painful erection. Are they related? 14 hours later
So not being able to reach a full erection is because of the urethritis???

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

You are right. For this urethritis you are having pain which is inhibiting a full erection.

So, do as i have told. Everything will be ok after completion of the antibiotic.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with urethritis. Getting painful erection. Are they related? 1 hour later
Ok, thanks for the reply I was freaking out I'm only 30 and biggie can be failing yet. Feels like everything is inflamed and my penis is like real shrunk up an feels cool. But when it clears up everything will go back to normal. Thanks you really eased my mind I was worried just take the medicine and give "it" some rest time?
Have a good weekend and thank you ...

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 50 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Yes. Cheer up. Take the medicine. DO the routine urine examination and culture sensitivity test after few days. Then consult with urologist with these reports for further management. You can also upload the reports here as a follow up question.

One more point, you should use condoms during sexual intercourse till you get completely cured.

Thank you.

Have a good weekend.

Regards.