Diagnosed with typhoid. Suggested initial stage. Prescribed Mahapod. Suggestions on diet and rest?

My daughter (3 and half years ) has been disgnosed with typhoid (sal typhi o positive in 1:80 dilutions, sal typhi h positive in 1:40 dilutions). Doctor said it is initial stage.She has been prescribed Mahapod suspension for 3 days, 5 ml twice a the dose right?

She had 2 repeated instances of fever in last one week and has cough and cold. Fever ranges between 100 -102 F, subsides when paracetamol is given.
Any additional suggestions about diet and rest? When would she be fit enough to go to school?
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later

I understand your concern.

Relax,there is nothing to worry.

Widal test is positive if titre is more than 1:160 in active infection.

Fever in children is mostly viral in nature but could be bacterial in nature.

Continue with medication as prescribed by your doctor,dosage is right.

Regarding fever I suggest you to monitor fever every 4 to 6 hourly and give acetaminophen as per dosage if fever is above 100F.

In case fever is more than 102F do tepid sponging.

Give plenty of fluids,fruit juices,vegetable soup and soft bland diet in form of boiled vegetable,rice porridge,milk so as to maintain hydration and nutrition.

She should take adequate rest.

Your baby will be fine in couple of days.

Hope I have answered your case you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless!!
Follow-up: Diagnosed with typhoid. Suggested initial stage. Prescribed Mahapod. Suggestions on diet and rest? 42 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your response Doctor.

Does this reading signify anything serious?
We did the blood test yesterday (Saturday) as suggested by our physician. She has fever since Friday. Any idea till when the fever would be there?

Also, last week, Saturday, (13/7/2013) she had about 102 F fever which went away after medication. She was given Augmed syrup then, for three days. Friday (19/7/2013) the fever came back.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 19 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up.

There is nothing to worry,widal test is negative in your child's case.

I will not suggest giving antibiotic every time since most of times fever is viral in nature. and symptomatic management with paracetamol and care of hydration and nutrition is required.

In case fever persist for more than 48 hours evaluation for any underlying infection will be needed.

As mentioned by you your child is having fever since friday I suggest you to wait till tomorrow.

I would like to know have you done complete blood count and urine examination.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with typhoid. Suggested initial stage. Prescribed Mahapod. Suggestions on diet and rest? 20 minutes later
Urine examination was not done as not suggested by physician.

Complete blood count:
Total count:8400cells/cu mm

Differential Count:
Polymorphs: 59%
Eosinophils:04%, Monocytes:00%, Basophiles:00%,
ESR 30 min- 14mm, 60 min -30 mm
RBC: 4.2 millions/cumm, PCV 38%, Platelet Count: 1.95 lakhs/cumm
MCV:90fl, MCH:30pg, MCHC:33%, MP QBC: Negative
Blood Widal:
Sal Typhi O: positive in 1:80 dilutions
Sal Typhi H:positive in 1:40 dilutions
Sal Para typhi A (H): Negative in 1:20 dilutions
Sal Para typhi B (H):Negative in 1:20 dilutions

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 31 minutes later
Thanks again.

CBC report is normal.

Relax,there is nothing to worry .It seems to be viral in nature.

Monitor her fever.Maintain nutrition.

She will be fine in a day or too.

God bless..