Diagnosed with typhoid. Is this the starting stage?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
i am diagnoised of typhi o positive. it is 1:80. wants to know whether it is a starting stage. and what is the food intake to be followed
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXX

Widal test is positive if TO antigen titer is more than 1:160 in presence of active infection.
Moreover, a single Widal test is usually not significant.
And a repeat test has to be done for comparison of the values to determine the presence of infection & success of the treatment.

If the repeat test shows an increased titres, then it is considered significant & treatment has to be started with antibiotics.
So, kindly consult your treating physician & discuss regarding the same.

Dietary management involves:
1. High energy, high protein, fluid diet is recommended in the beginning to take care of the depleting energy reserve & loss of proteins.
2. Small meals should be taken at frequent intervals of 2 to 3 hours.
3. Adequate intake of fluids and salts should be ensured to maintain proper hydration & electrolyte balance.
4. Avoid whole grain, rice and other solid foods & foods XXXXXXX in fat because they will put pressure on your digestive system.
5. Also avoid alcohol, carbonated drinks as well as caffeinated drinks.

Wishing you good health and a speedy recovery.

Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with typhoid. Is this the starting stage? 54 minutes later
Doctor is it a kind of epidemic, will it spread to other memebers too, if i do not maintaine distance and maintaine things pertaining to me seperately.

Is there any specific vegetable or fruits, consumption of which will helps me in recovering quickly .

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 24 minutes later
Hello XXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query.

1. Typhoid is a communicable disease & spreads through infected food and water.
So, maintenance of proper hygiene, careful food preparation and washing of hands are important to prevent the spread of typhoid to other family members.

2. Though there is no specific vegetable or fruits to aid in quick recovery, you can have fruits like banana & coconut water.
Avoid the strongly flavored vegetables like capsicum, cabbage, turnip, radish, garlic and onion.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries.

Please let me know if you have any further query.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with typhoid. Is this the starting stage? 8 hours later
Doctor, was taking BP tablet, tenlal 25mg/day from past one year and was taking daxid 75mg from past 3 months for my depression.. was prone to depression because of my mom death.

Shall i continue taking this medicine along with this typhi medication. Because my treating doctor asked to give a break for my depression tablet but my psychiartist says no harm in continuing,, what do you suggest..

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 12 hours later
Hello XXXXXX

Thanks for your follow up query.

Daxid is pharmacologically Sertraline, which has a slight inhibitory effect on the metabolism of certain medications.
Your treating Doctor might have asked you to give a break to this tablet thinking of the same.

As you have not mentioned the name of the medications you are taking for management of Typhoid, it will be better to show your Typhoid medication to your Psychiatrist & follow his advise regarding continuing or discontinuing your anti depression medication.

Hope I have been able to answer your query.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.