Diagnosed with typhoid 2. Encountered some skin inflammatory disease. Have scaly scalp and dandruff problem. Can it be Herpes?

I was diagnosed with typhoid 2 years back, that is when i had first encounter with some skin inflammatory disease called XXXXXXX spots. From then on XXXXXXX spots has been part and parcel of my life making difficult to live. I have consulted many doctors and skin specialists but have been unsuccessful in getting cured. I suspect it as Eczema since i have scaly scalp and dandruff problem even after frequent use of shampoos. I also doubt if it is Herpes. ??

Please help me with this problem!
It will be great If you can refer me to some clinic or doctors in Bangalore, India
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX spots do not persist so long.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us. XXXXXXX spots which manifest in typhoid last for two to five days and are usually less than five to ten in number. So the lesions that you are having are definitely not XXXXXXX spots.
Herpes too do not has similar manifestation. Herpes lesions are grouped blisters and generalised lesions are rarely seen.
If your scalp is oily or flaky, seborrheic dermatitis seems to be the most plausible diagnosis. it may manifest as tiny red slightly scaly itchy bumps over chest, face, behind ears etc.

I would like to know
exact site and if possible description of lesions
since how long the lesions have been persisting
treatment taken so far

If possible attach pics of the lesions too.
Seborrheic dermatitis can be effectively managed with topical and oral therapy.
Let me confirm the diagnosis and then we can discuss the management part.

you may look for dermatologist in your area by searching for doctors in Bangalore by using this website.

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with typhoid 2. Encountered some skin inflammatory disease. Have scaly scalp and dandruff problem. Can it be Herpes? 12 minutes later
Bingo! you are right I get lesions in the areas you mentioned, on face, chest, limbs, hands, behind ears and my scalp becomes extremely itchy leading to chronic dandruff!

I had taken a homeopathic treatment which was not useful. Couple of other doctors had advised me to find the allergens by myself, as in to keep track of my dietary habits. Several of them advised to avoid perfumes, cosmetics, curd, bread, groundnuts,..etc I tried all but did not work out

I googled on Seborrheic dermatitis pictures, it exactly depicts of what my lesions look like(wikipedia).. I would like to seek treatment from you, medications, food habits, root cause and the right doctor to consult for this problem...?

Here is the link which is exactly my problem

Regards XXXXXXX Kulkarni
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please read a detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
To treat seborrheic dermatitis you may follow these suggestions

Use a ketoconazole based shampoo and alternate it with a steroid based shampoo ie use scalp/nizoral, keraglow ad and next day use sebowash. Apply the shampoo for 10 minutes over scalp and then wash off.
In night apply steroid antifungal lotion over scalp like zydip c or candid b lotion.

Once dandruff is gone, just continue with ketoconazole shampoo two days in a week to prevent further recurrence

To relieve itching take levocetirizne daily

apply steroid cream like flutivate cream over lesions affecting face. For rest of the body use betamethasone cream. Apply these twice in a day. Do not continue beyond 2 weeks without doctor's follow up

Usually with these steps, seborrheic dermatitis resolves. If not much response is seen or if lesions are extensive we may add oral steroid and oral antifungal . As these are prescription drugs, so please do not take without doctor's guidance.

Diet has no role in causing or treating seborrheic dermatitis. So continue with your normal healthy diet.

The root cause for seborrheic dermatitis is an yeast known as pityriasis ovale and hence oral antifungal helps in patients of seborrheic dermatits.
The right doctor to consult for this problem is a dermatologist. Seborrheic dermatitis is such a common problem that no dermatologist would misdiagnose it.
I would still appreciate if you could post me images of your involved areas and I would encourage an appointment with a dermatologist nearby as nothing can replace naked eye clinical examination of the lesions.
Hope that helped. Do follow these suggestions nad get back to me after five to seven days for futher follow up.