Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Having frequent swollen and itchy lips. What is causing this?

Hello, I am 34 yrs old, recently detected with type 2 diabetes . Problem is I'm having frequent problem of swollen lips initially with some itching. It gets ok in 2-3 days.

Consulted diabetologist - he says it's not because of sugar or diabetes.
Consulted dentis
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later

Lip swelling is referred to as 'angioedema'. This is a swelling similar to hives, but the swelling is beneath the skin rather than on the surface. The hives are called welts. It is also possible to have angioedema without hives.

It is not related to diabetes or high blood sugar rather it is related to allergies. The main symptom is the sudden development of swelling which can also occurs around the eyes and lips.

This condition cannot be taken lightly and has to be treated on a priority basis. The reason why it needs to be treated urgently is because it can cause -
• Abdominal cramping
•     Breathing difficulty
•     Swollen eyes and mouth
•     Swollen lining of the eyes (chemosis)
In addition it may cause so much swelling of the mucous membranes that it may be difficult for a person to breathe.

You should first take a good antihistaminic like fexofenadine. It can be prescribed by your physician / dermatologist.

Once you take the antihistamines, if the swelling doesn't reduced within the next hour or you start having any breathing difficulties or any of the above mentioned systemic symptoms, you should see your doctor. The doctor will be able to administer you with injections of antihistaminic and an injectable corticosteroid which is fast acting.
A course of fexofenadine can be continued once daily for a month. This will help in gradual reduction in the frequency of swelling.

The cause for this swelling is unknown. Sometimes it is also hereditary; mostly it can also be due to some allergies. Though a direct cause is often not known clearly, let me assure you that it is not related to diabetes.

Hope my recommendations are helpful. Please let me know if I can address any other concern.