Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Bloating, back pain, night sweats and sleeplessness. Why?

my mom was diagnosed with typ 2 dia, also causing her to lose her leg. post op about 2months. however she is now experi abdom issues. she is on insu, she said she is bloated, upper, both sides of ab feels heavy under rib cage, severe back ache, cant sleep, night sweats, no fever no vomit no constip, no certain foods contrib, was sudden onset
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Review with her treating doctor is necessary...

Detailed Answer:

I understand that diabetes has caused various ill effects on your mother. She had to loose her leg due to blood sugars. However the current list of symptoms may or may not be related to diabetes. The sudden appearance of abdominal symptoms may be related to intestines / insulin and stress related concerns.

1. Though insulin is a very good drug to control blood sugar; it is commonly associated with blood sugar fluctuations (especially during the initial stages of therapy). Fluctuation blood sugar at night can make patients restless and sweat. If you have a glucometer at home, you can check her blood sugar before breakfast, after breakfast, post lunch, before dinner, after dinner and when she develops night sweats for a few days to a week. The sugar reading will help your physician optimize her insulin.

2. Bloating, heaviness on the sides and back ache is most likely related to digestive issues. If there has been changes in her diet recently, those may be acting as a percursor. If there are no diet changes, I would opt to treat her with proton pump inhibitor (prilosec OTC) along with high fibre diet for couple of weeks before planning more tests - blood count, liver function, ultrasound scan and scopies.

3. Lastly, if sugar and digestive issues are ruled out through elaborate investigations, the symptoms may be related to low estrogen state (menopause). She can contact her gynecologist and try estrogen supplements briefly.

I hope this stepwise management will help her. Let me know if you need clarifications.