Diagnosed with two large cysts in ovary. Is it a smart decision to remove the ovaries?

Mar 2013
It was discovered today that I have 2 large cysts on my left ovary. One of those cysts being 8cm. I have 3 children to care for and don't have time for being down repeatedly. I am hoping to convince my ob/gyn to remove the ovaries tomorrow. Is this in your opinion a smart decision?
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: LAP CYST REMOVAL ADVICED, PLS UPLOAD FULL REPORT Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Considering that the average of menopause is 50, you still have 7 productive years ahead of you. The repercussions of having your ovaries removed would be significant. They would include hot flushes, irritability, fatigue, bone problems, mood changes etc. I would not recommend coping with them before the time comes. The cysts can be easily removed laparoscopically ( it would help if you could upload the ultrasound report, that would enable me to be more useful to you ). I would advice laparoscopic cystectomy ( cyst removal ) instead of ovarian removal. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.