Diagnosed with trigiminal neuralgia. Having severe trigeminal pain. What this could be?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hi I'm 33 Female and have been dianosed with Trigiminal Neuralgia in 2010. I had a surgery to correct it in 2010 which was a cranial plasti on my Right Side. As soon as I woke up from the surgery I felt the relief on the Right side but felt pain on the Left immediately. This was a different kind of pain it wasn't the type where I was hurting due to a breeze on my face or cold water it was more of a burning pain, sharp pain. I had to wait three months and the doctor decided to do the same procedure on the left side and every since that surgery I have been in extreme pain. I've been prescribed oxycotin for over a year now and it masks the pain but with any activity or sitting up from the sitting position I get throbbing pain quickly. Do you have any idea what this could be? Also right below my hair line on the back of my head toward the corner of where my hair starts to go up is where I feel tightness. Especially when the pain comes on this area the area get's as hard as a rock and you can feel some sort of bump in there the only thing to relieve my pain when it get's this bad is heat and sleep extra Dilloted 4mg. Please Help!
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later
Dear Friend,

It appears that you have trigeminal pain.

If it is uncontrollable with medicines, the other safe option is gamma knife surgery. It has been tried in treating trigeminal neuralgia. It is a form of focused radiation to any area in brain.

ALSO I feel you should have a MRI of the brain with FIESTA Sequence in posterior fossa of the brain to localize the cause of trigeminal nerve compression.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Dr Vineet
Follow-up: Diagnosed with trigiminal neuralgia. Having severe trigeminal pain. What this could be? 4 days later
I also have been getting shock like feelings in my feet and legs. These feelings happen sometimes not consistently, but periodically. Does this have anything to do with the trigiminal pain? The shocks hurt at first and then turn into a burning feeling. These shocks are felt mostly in my feet but sometimes in my arms and shoulder area.
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 7 hours later
Dear Friend,

These pains are not associated with trigeminal neuralgia. I am not sure about cause of these pains now; but if they are persistent you will require MRI of spine and Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) upper and lower limbs to find out the cause.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Dr Vineet