Diagnosed with transient ischemic attacks. Sonogram showed tumour, normal CAT scan and ECK. Treatment?

Nov 2013

on no medication, but supplements... have over many years had what they athink as TIA's recently my arms and legs gave out several times over last XXXXXXX and Dec. went for cat scan, eck nothing shows. but just found an old report back in dec. 09... i was in Arz. had some issues.

they did a Carotid Sonogram report, I see that he replorted an incidental 8mm x6mm left carotid body turmor... that is now 4 yrs ago... also mild disease in the rcca, bulp I am wondering if this could be causing issues.. I forgot to tell u last week I blanked out for 5 hours and made phone calls have no recollection at all. My heart dr. has not responded and I am without a regualr Dr. am often feeling week and out of breathe up the stairs... otherwise I am fit and now feel ok.

Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I agree with you and your doctors that your symptoms are suggestive of TIAs (transient ischemic attacks). In this condition, the blood flow to a part of brain reduces, leading to symptoms, as you have described. Once the blood flow is restored to that part of brain, then, complete recovery usually occurs.

The common risk factors for TIAs should be looked for, such as high BP, sugars, cholesterol and homocysteine. Blood tests can tell us about the last three risk factors.

As of now, I would recommend you start aspirin, if you are not taking it already.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad