Diagnosed with tonsillitis, on amoxicillin. Tonsils swollen and having white patches. Cure?

Jan 2013

I was diagnosed with tonsilitis yesterday and put on amoxicillin but after a few doses I am only getting worse and having more pain. My tonsils are swollen with more bloody and white patches and now I'm seeing black spots. Should I go back to the dr or does this usually get worse before it gets better?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have difficulty in breathing/ chest pain/ cough with sputum/ fever?
Do you have running nose/ sore throat?
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ retrosternal burning pain/ abdominal bloating after taking meals?
Since how long are you suffering from these symptoms?
Do you have history of weight loss?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to high possibility of acute tonsillitis which could be secondary to acute viral upper respiratory tract infection.
Presence of inflammation in defined region suggests the diagnosis.
Black spot could be due to clotted blood.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and chest x XXXXXXX on preliminary basis.
Appearance of affected area as visualized in attached image appear to be bad and should go for throat swab along with biopsy.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should also take complete antibiotic therapy, decongestants and antipyretics.
You should also perform gargles three times in a day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.
Avoid cold drinks, oily food and yogurt and juices.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Diagnosed with tonsillitis, on amoxicillin. Tonsils swollen and having white patches. Cure? 3 hours later
Thank you for getting back to me. To answer your questions, I'm not experiencing any of the above mentioned except for sore throat. I have been losing weight but only because I am on a diet/exercise program. These symptoms started Sunday evening so I was quick to see my GP Monday morning. A strep test was done and came back negative however, I was prescribed antibiotics anyway. I will definitely take your suggestion and see an ENT. I am 33 years old and have had tonsilitis I would guess about 40 times in my life. Would having my tonsils removed help? Or am I too old?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 6 minutes later
Tonsils should be removed if recurrent infections are present or condition is not treatable with antibiotics.
All the best,
Get well soon,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava