Diagnosed with toksymia during pregnancy. Tests after delivery could not find the amoeba. What to do?

I had an ameba 50 years ago. Since I was pregnant doctor for tropical diseases couldn't treat me for it.
Then in the 8th month of pregnancy I was diagnosed with toksymia, and was rushed to the hospital for c-section.
Baby and I have survived. Right after the birth of my baby, I had done a painful test for it, but I was told that they couldn't find the ameba. I am wondering if ameba is still existing in my system...?
I have been feeling for some years as if I were intoxicated and lightheaded.
That's why I would like know whether it effects me since, ameba was never treated....
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later

Thanks for using XXXXXXX for your query.

Amoeba is a protozoa, affecting intestines to give symptoms like diarrheoa, dysentry alternating with constipation. There is blood or mucus seen in the stools of the patient.

Sometime it remains asymptomatic for years as may be the case with you.
It keeps on surviving in & damaging gastrointestinal tract.
But it does not have any effect on blood pressure, the toxemia of pregnancy you had. They seem to be due to blood pressure
The amoeba affects liver, which can project as nausea or lightheaded feeling.

Following investigations can diagnose amoebiasis if it's still affecting your system
-Stools routine & microscopic test
-Serological tests to detect amoeba proteins in feces
-Serological tests to detect amoeba DNA in feces..
If it is not detected, then no need to worry. But even if it is detected, it can be taken care of with an advice of an expert Gastroenterologist.

I hope your query is answered well to satisfy you. I would be happy to help you for any further query you have.