Diagnosed with thyroid imbalance. Started gaining weight. Suggest the dosage of my medicine

Jan 2013

I am a 27yr old female, 90KG weight and height is 5 2". I had a baby 4.5yrs back, when i was first diagnozed with thyroid imbalance. I used to take 50mcg throughout my pregnancy. After delivery doc asked me to take 25mcg only. Until march '12, I was on 25mcg. I gained lot of weight during and after pregnancy. After pregnancy, i have menstrual bleeding continuously. No stoppage..only once in a while it stops and again continues. From March '12, I got TSH= 9.7. So, doctor put me on 75mcg thyronorm. I got my TSH again rechecked in Sept '12, and it is 9.5. There is no decrease at all inspite of taking 75mcg. Will my dosage again be increased?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later

Treatment for hypothyroidism is decided by TSH level.

During pregnancy, Beta HCG also has thyroid hormone effect and TSH level decreased hece the dose of thyroxine was decreased.

Few patients has Hashimoto's thyroiditis and there is progressive loss of thyroid tissue with fibrosis of thyroid gland.

In such cases, as the years passed, there is progressive rise of TSH.

You should consult with physician / endocrinologist and should go for appropriate dose of Thyroxine.

Yes.. you have requirement of high dose of thyroxine.

You should also follow few dietary restrictions along with medicine.

You should stop using cauliflower, cabbage, and capsicum.

You should also stop lettuce and broccoli,if you are taking.

These vegetables contain thyroigenic substances and may precipitate hypothyroidism.

You should take tomatoes and dry fruits in higher amount.

Put your views also.

Take care,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Diagnosed with thyroid imbalance. Started gaining weight. Suggest the dosage of my medicine 1 hour later
Sure, I have an appointment with my endocrynologist on 24th of this month. However, I also want to reduce weight, which has piled up in me across 4-5yrs. before marriage, when i didnt have thyroid problem, my weight was 60kgs. But after all this, now my weight is 90kgs..It is really annoying. I have heard people saying that if correct dosage of thyronorm is taken, then i will see weight reduction. Is that true?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX are right. Hypothyroidism for which thyronorm is given, is associated with increased weight.
Weight decrease after correction of hypothyroidism.
But it is not applicable in each & every case.
Because of hormonal changes after marriage and pregnancy, weight start rising.
You have to stick on fat free diet with restricted calorie intake and increased physical activity.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava