Diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Part of thyroid removed. Suggested for chemotherapy. Chances of recovery?

Question
My wife has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. She is 68 yrs old and has had part of her thyroid removedand has been told that she will have to undergo chemotherapy. What are her chances of recovery. XXXXXX
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I can appreciate your concern for your wife.

Please note that most thyroid cancers are very curable. In fact, the most common types of thyroid cancer (papillary and follicular thyroid cancer) are the most curable.

Depending upon the type of cancer doctor decides to remove the whole gland or part of it.

After this to treatment the remaining cancer cells, chemotherapy is advised.

Please discuss with your physician about this. Depending upon the type of cancer further guidance can be given.

I hope this helps.

Wishing her good health and speedy recovery.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Part of thyroid removed. Suggested for chemotherapy. Chances of recovery? 18 hours later
Will let you know when I get further details from specialist which she has been refered to...XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 57 minutes later
Sure.

bye.