Ask a Dentist   »  

Diagnosed with thrush. Raised bumps appeared on back of tongue. Is this normal with thrush?

I have been diagnosed with Thrush due to several rounds of antibiotics I was on. I'm noticing 4 raised bumps on the back of my tongue that resemble circumvallate papillae. I also have couple of white spots behind my tongue. Is this normal with Thrush?

I have no reason to believe I have an STD...I have never had intercourse in my life...only kissing and occasional oral sex from female partners all of which have been tested regularly. But, obviously something unusual like this is scary. Better to be safe than sorry.

No pain from anything in my mouth, no fever, no swollen lymph nodes. Just a paranoid guy with Thrush from antibiotic usage.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 59 minutes later

Thanks for the question. I have reviewed the pictures.

In view of details, I don't see any cause for worry. Your current oral symptoms are likely to be part of thrush and not related to sexually transmitted disease (STD).

You can relax and avoid undue worry.

Oral thrush is common with several rounds of antibiotics and should resolve once medications are withdrawn.

Hope this answers your question. Please ask if there are any further questions.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with thrush. Raised bumps appeared on back of tongue. Is this normal with thrush? 25 hours later
Thank you my friend. You have relieved my mind. Bless you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
It was pleasure assisting you.

If you are satisfied with my response and wish to ask me in future, you can post your queries on this link
Do close this discussion if you have no more inquiries now.