Diagnosed with throat cancer. Recovering from pneumonia, have weight loss. On antibiotic. Prognosis?

My husband was diagnosed with throat cancer in January. He is now hospitalized, and is recovering from pnuemonia. He has become increasingly confused, has lost a lot of weight and is so Ill that treatment is being withheld for now as his physical condition is poor. He has a rig for feeding and is on his second course of antibiotics. What are his chances of pulling through this? He is 62.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

The exact prognosis can be determined based on the laboratory parameters which include his blood investigations and vital parameters like blood pressure, pulse rate and temperature profile.

Based on the description of his condition you gave above, I would say it is very common for a person with a cancer under treatment to pass through a stage like this.

Considering his age the chances of his recovery can be less when estimated but there are chances where he can respond well based on the antibiotic he will be placed on. Antibiotics do play a vital role as they reduce the infections which are responsible for worsening of his condition.

Do observe his condition after he is being placed on the second course of the antibiotics along with other vital parameters like blood pressure, pulse rate and oxygen saturation, which determines his recovery.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.