Diagnosed with tendonitis of wrist and suspected for ganglion cyst. Noticed bump and swelling on wrist. Concerned

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with tendonitis of my right wrist, although my rheumatologist said it could also be a ganglion cyst too since I have a small bump on the volar side of my wrist just below the wrist joint. I have a history of osteoarthritis and I have had pain in this right wrist for 2-3 years as well as some joint pain their also but the small bump just showed up recently. The swelling on my wrist comes and goes and gets worse with overuse or repetitive motion. Just today I noticed a slightly swollen area on my right inside upper forearm and when I felt the area, there seems to be a soft small painless lump under the skin. I did not notice this lump before I was diagnosed with tendonitis. Even though the lump is painless, I have some discomfort of the area when doing certain activities such as, typing at the computer, holding my arms in the same postion when driving, and carrying heavy grocery bags. Here are my questions:
1. Can tendonitis of the wrist or a ganglion cyst cause this type of problem in the forearm?
2. Is this really a lump of some kind or could it be a larger muscle or tendon? I am right hand dominant and that arm is slightly bigger than my left anyway.
3. I have heard about soft tissue sarcomas, and I am very scared. Could this be the problem?
I not only get pain in the wrist area, but also the thumb. When my wrist and thumb are hurting, sometimes the forearm will hurt too. Please advise. I am very concerned.
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The ganglion cyst in the wrist can cause the symptoms you are having but the swelling on the inner side of your forearm is likely to be due a tendonitis in that area too.
The larger muscle or tendon is not palpable like a lump and is never painful. This seems to be a small lump due to inflammation. A direct examination will help in confirmation.
Do not be scared. Such swellings are mostly benign and is least likely to be due to a sarcoma.
To get rid from this problem you may need a course of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs. Usually these types of bumps get recovered by medications. But it is always advisable to consult your doctor and get clinically examined. So feel free to consult your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.