Diagnosed with tachycardia. Is it safe to fly? Risks to be aware of? Risk of changing climate?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hi, my dad end it up at emergency 4days ago after feeling unwell (he thought he was comming down with a flu) and instead was diagnosed with tachycardia. He is 65yo since now he never had any medical problem and doesn' t take any medication. Anyway after keeping him at the emergency unit for 2days all his readings are now back to normal and he is feeling absolutly fine. (and they are planning to release him from the hospital tomorrow or wednesday) He is due to travel to Thailand next tuesday (cca 11hrs flight) for month long holidays- staying in one place in rented villa, so relaxing, not travelling around. We are not sure if it is safe for him to fly or not?? If he can fly then what sort of things he should be aware of? And what about the change of climate (going from Europe to Thailand) is there any risk??
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 5 hours later
Thank you for your query.

As I understand, your father is a 65 year old gentleman, otherwise healthy, who is currently being treated for a tachycardia. He gives a past history of XXXXXXX vein thrombosis which has recovered.

Before I address your concerns about the long flight and his fitness to travel, I need some more data from you.

1) I would like to see the ECG of the arrhythmia. If possible, you can upload a scanned ECG on this website. There is an option on the right hand side panel in the web page.

2) I would like to know the Echo findings and also the results of any blood tests that must have been done.

3) If the ECG is not available, at least the diagnosis of the specific type of tachycardia is needed.

Please provide me with these details so that I can give you a specific answer.

With regards,
Dr RS Varma