Diagnosed with swelling of pancreas. Experiencing severe pain. How to reduce this?

General Surgeon
Question
hi my husband has just been diagnosed with swelling of pancreas severe pain was hospitailized for 2 days what does he have to do for this ,does this shorten his life. does this mean he will never be able to eat regular meals again?
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 22 minutes later
Hi
I would like to know the complete diagnosis of your husband.Whether it is Acute pancreatitis or Chronic pancreatitis,Pancreatic growth?What are the investigations that were done and their reports?What is the Serum amylase and lipase levels?
If you come back with answers of above questions,i will clarify.
If possible,please attach reports.
Awaiting your response

Follow-up: Diagnosed with swelling of pancreas. Experiencing severe pain. How to reduce this? 26 hours later
Good afternoon,thank-you for responding ,the hospital did not give us any of the above results,he has an appointment with his family physican on Monday p.m.He had several x-rays they found nothing until they put him through a scan,to find out what the severe pain was,this was the first time he had ever had any problems with his pancreatis,the only thing they told us it was swollen,he was advised to go on a lot fat dietwhich he has been on since he was released from hospital.I understand without the above information,you are not able to tell me anything,at least can you tell me if since he has no longer any pain,he said it is slightly sore only,will he be able to not stay on a lot fat diet,if he is carefuland does not eat alot of greasy food. Thank-You

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 20 minutes later
Hi
Actually,if the pancreas is swollen and is causing severe pain,he will not be treated as outpatient.He will be admitted in hospital.
His enzymes like Serum Amylase and Serum Lipase should be elevated.Without these levels elevated,you cannot tell that he has swelling of pancreas i.e Pancreatitis.
Nothing will be seen in x rays.
He should be investigated with Ultrasound abdomen and CT scan abdomen for the correct diagnosis.
All the abdominal pains are not related to pancreas.There are many organs like liver,gall bladder,stomach,small intestine whose disease may cause abdominal pain.
IT is better to give him low fat diet for few weeks.
Add Multivitamin and antioxidant capsules and Rabeprazole with Itopride capsule.
Processed food products should also be avoided.
Alchohol should be stopped if he is taking it.
Nothing to worry
Wish him speedy recovery