Diagnosed with svt with ocassional pvcs and pacs with ectopic atrial rhythm and significant cardiac dysrhythmia. Treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My precious 10 year old grand daughter has been diagnosed with svt with ocassional pvcs and pacs with an etopic atrial rhythhms and synificate cardiac dysrythmia. Sometimes her heart is 205 beats per minute.Can you explain this to me in terms that I can understand please. She was a 2 pound premie born at 27 weeks and has led a very active and full life so far. We attended a recent basket ball game and she became very pale and her legs became suddenly very heavy. She wore a monitor for 4 days and discovered these problems. We are very scared and worried . An explaination would be so very helpful! Thankyou
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 28 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT) is a disorder with disturbances of heart rate and rhythm.
The normal heart will have four chambers, two atria and two ventricles and a conducting system of electrical impulses which regulates the contractions of the heart.
So this systems will work in a coordinated and a rhythmical way so that the sufficient blood from the body enters into the atria is supplied to the ventricle from there it enters into the body.
Due to the abnormalities in the conducting system of the heart this rhythm and heart rate is deranged and the heart rate is increased to abnormally high rates and the heart will fail to supply the sufficient blood to the body leading to pale body and features of acute heart failure.
Please don't worry, as your child is being admitted into hospital, being monitored for her cardiac status and the doctors will take care of her.
And I wish your grand daughter a speedy recovery.
Hope I have explained the problem in way that you can understand, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with svt with ocassional pvcs and pacs with ectopic atrial rhythm and significant cardiac dysrhythmia. Treatment? 1 hour later
What type of surgery will be done to correct her problems and will she be able to live a full and normal life?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
The main treatment of Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT) is through the drugs.
The aim of the treatment is to convert the paroxysmal abnormal rhythm to the normal rhythm by drugs and the maintenance of the normal rhythm with long acting drugs.
If the doctors find any abnormal accessory conduction pathway, then will plan radiofrequency ablation.
This is the general approach in the management of SVT, but the treating doctor will decide and plan a treatment protocol according to his evaluation of the abnormality and your grand daughter clinical profile.
She will lead a normal life if the the present abnormality is corrected by medical management, but requires frequent follow up for cardiac monitoring and long term medication. But the treating doctor is the best person to comment on these issues.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Regards.