Diagnosed with stones in pancreatic duct and had caused infection. Can I take metformin?

Infertility Specialist
I was recently diagonosed as having stones in my pancreatic duct and had caused infection.( Five Days ago) I became very ill suddenly with pain and fever. Went to emergency care and they indicated blood sugar levels were high and gave me medication and referred me to Gastroenterlogist. They have recommended MRI but my blood sugar is still 258 and I have eaten hardly anything. Will getting the stones removed help my pancreas to produce insulin again. I have had no previous problems. Also is there something else that I can take with metformin to lower the level until surgery? Some suggest vinegar, is that safe?
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 3 hours later
Thanks for writing to us
Well, you have pancreatic stone leading to pancreatitis. This may be a part of the spectrum of a disease complex called fibrocalcific pancreatopathy.
A group of these patients may have diabetes mellitus due to decreased hormone production. In some patients , removal of stones helps in improving the diabetes.
If sugar is not controlled, please speak with your physician about insulin. Vinegar isn't an allopathic medicine and cannot be taken as an accepted modality since data on how effective this is is not available. I would suggest that you stay away, since the lack of insulin already does cause too acidic a state in the body. We dont want to further aggravate it with vinegar.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you have any more questions
Follow-up: Diagnosed with stones in pancreatic duct and had caused infection. Can I take metformin? 15 hours later
Is there a medication used for treating pancreatitis. I was given Cipro. I am waiting MRI scan. Also is the surgery to remove these stones difficult to recover from?
Thanks for writing back to me.

Acute pancreatitis is conservatively managed. If needed, you can be put nil orally, IV fluids, and analgesics to control pain. Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic given to prevent super added infection as you have stones.

Pancreatic duct stones can be retrieved by a method called ERCP.A trained GI surgeon or a gastroenterologist can be able to do so. So don't worry.

I hope I have answered your query.
Hope to find you at the best of your health.