Diagnosed with stomach ulcers. How to overcome this?

My wife was just diagnosed with stomach ulcers. What are they and what does she need to do to take care of this problem?
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later

Thanks for asking

Stomach ulcers occurd when the linning of the stomach wall is disrupted.Various causes of stomach ulcers are:

Excessive spicy food
Alcohol and cigerette smoking
Drugs like steriods and pain killers
Any other cause which increses the acidity of the stomach.

Basically any condition which increases the acidity of stomach makes a person more prone to develop the stomach ulcers.

Although history is typical upper GI endoscopy is needed to establish the diagnosis.

Treatment is aimed at stopping the offending agent and the drugs whose main aim is to increase the PH of the stomach to help in healing of the ulcers.

Please let me know any follow up questions.