Diagnosed with spinal disc herniation. Started getting weight. What should I do for weight loss?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
6 Months back, i was diagnised with Herniate Disc condition in the L5 section of spinal cord. Doctor advised me to Continue physiotherapy excersie and also suggested to avoid any surgury. Since then i have put on some weight.

Can i hit the gym adn do some weight control workout. Also, I was into cricket before the back problem. Can i continue playing criket?
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

If your symptoms are well controled with conservative management and good physiotherapy , you can avoid surgery.

You can join gym but avoid heavy weight lifting and forward bending becase these increases the pressure over disc. you can continue playing cricket but I advice you first start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.