Diagnosed with small umbilical hernia. Is surgery needed? Will the surgery restrict the regular exercises?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hi, I am XXXXXXX, age 29, height 5.10 and weight 90kgs. I have been recently diagnosed with "small umblical hernia defect Mx- 5.8 x 5mm, omentum herniated through the defect". I would like to know if surgery is required for this type of small hernia and which is the effective surgery for unblical hernia (Laser or incisional)? I would like to know if hernia surgery restricts my regular exercise and abdominal exercises? Also, kindly help me with care taken for prevention of further omentum of hernia.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

An umbilical hernia is small defect in the abdominal wall in the region of umbilicus.

It can be there from birth or it can be acquired later on in life.

Presence of omentum is not a good thing to have as it may sometimes get twisted and can cause sudden severe abdominal pain needing emergence surgery.

Smaller defects tend to cause more trouble than larger ones and hence will require surgical treatment.
Laser / laparoscopic umbilical hernia repair is ideal as it causes less pain and quick recovery from surgery.

A small wire net is used to cover the defect. It is essentially a day care surgery.

I hope, I have answered your query. please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with small umbilical hernia. Is surgery needed? Will the surgery restrict the regular exercises? 3 hours later
Thanks for your reply. I would like to know if post surgery is there any difficulties in heavy physical or sexual activity in future? Also, wanted to know if there is any chance of reoccurance of the treated hernia?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 7 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX!
This surgery will not restrict or interfere with any physical or sexual activity in the future. If done properly the chance of recurrence of this hernia is very negligible.