Diagnosed with small inflamed cyst in groin. Is it possible to remove or treat the cyst without the use of antibiotics?

I have a small inflamed cyst ( diagnosed by my PCP) in my groin, 58 year old female. He prescribed Bactrim, but I was unable to tolerate it. I am allergic or intolerant to many antibiotics. The cyst opened and drained two weeks ago, but is again very painful. My PCP referred me to a general surgeon, and I want to have this resolved. Is it possible to have the cyst removed or treated without the use of antiboitics or can Biaxin be used, as I have tolerated that well in the past although it's been several years. I have been using warm soaks and compress but they have offered only tempoary relief. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Hi,thanks for using healthcare magic

I agree with your doctor that a general surgeon would be the next best step.
A cyst is a sac with a collection of fluid. They can be painful if infected and inflamed as in your case.
If the entire sac can be removed by the general surgeon ,the area cleaned and infective tissue removed then it is possible that you may not need antibiotics.

Biaxin is the trade name for clarithromycin and is most commonly used for infections if they are thought to be uncomplicated. If you indicate to your doctor that you have previously used this with no problems then he or she would determine whether it would be appropriate.

You can try using anti inflammatory medication such as aspirin, ibuprofen, cataflam, celebrex to see if they can assist with your pain.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions