Diagnosed with sinus infection and allergy to dust-mites, cats and dogs. Suggestions

I have 2 (possibly related) things going on and I’m pulling my hair out. I’m looking for another opinion… 1) For the past 3 weeks I’ve had an on and off dizzy feeling (like I’m moving). At times I feel a pressure in my head when it occurs. I have also had an increase in my allergies, itchy throat (back of roof of mouth) to the point of waking me up at night, itchy eyes and some post-nasal drip. I visited my allergist and he said I didn't have a sinus infection since my post-nasal was clear. Allergy tests from 18 months ago revealed a significant allergy to dust mites, cats and dogs, but nothing else. I do not have pets and I have coverings on my bedding and hardwood floors. I asked him if I could be allergic to something else, he said “no must be those dust mites”. Any insight would be appreciative. 2) On a separate note 18 months ago allergy tests revealed no food allergies (via skin prick tests). However, a second opinion a year ago (different allergist, via skin pricks) revealed I have an allergy to sunflower seed, almonds, peaches, cantaloupe, pineapple, milk and crab. The contradiction in results has created anxiety when eating, so I have extensively limited my diet to only a few items (chicken, spinach, wheat, corn and rice) and I still panic when eating those items. As a result, my allergist says he wants to run oral challenges in order to expand my diet, which I’m terrified of. (Not sure is this issue has anything to do with the first).
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Mostly two sides of single entity. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Allergy is most disturbing, unpredictable disorder which affects day to day life. Apart from this you had three different reports of allergy testing that has made you still more uncomfortable & tense. I understand your concern. The test results may be different because- - They were done at different centers. The allergens used for the test may vary. - Though allergy is mainly a genetic disorder, its incidence & spread. increases due to exposure to environmental pollution, raised Allergen levels, dietary changes. These factors do add to the allergens affecting a person. So please don't be tense for contradiction in the test results. In case of doubt, the test can be repeated. I feel it's better to know & avoid the allergens & try to get rid / reduce the number of them by desensitization treatment, rather than getting tense. Your next point of concern is dizziness. Dizziness can arise due to certain middle ear conditions, refractory error of eye, hypotension( these need exclusion), In your case I would think of -Sinusitis causing Eustachian tubal block (this gets relieved by vapor Inhalation -Weakness specially anemia. -Anti allergic drugs may induce sleepy feeling & dizziness - Anxiety. So as you guessed, the two health problems are two sides of single entity. You also seem to be anxious about the food challenge advised by your doctor. You need not be so; it's a safe test, conducted under expert’s observation In short, avoiding the allergens after tracing them, take symptomatic treatment as per need, get desensitization treatment to reduce number of allergens, take a dietitian’s advice & eat all nutrients from the food available, exercise daily (Specially respiratory exercises). Be busy in work of choice & be peaceful,positive ( meditation,counselling) - that is best way to have a happy life . I hope the answer satisfies you& you find it applicable . Any further query, is welcome Regards
Follow-up: Diagnosed with sinus infection and allergy to dust-mites, cats and dogs. Suggestions 12 hours later
Thank you for your response and detailed answer...I know only allergy tests can say for sure, but in your opinion would you think the constant itchy throat is more likely due to something environmental than food? I have a huge food anxiety for the past few years.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Food/ environmental allergies cause throat itching Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, It indicates your concern & anxiety about the problem. It's but natural to be so, still I would again insist, to try & be anxiety free. With good efforts you can fight the allergy to conquer it! I am providing needful information to help you. Throat consists of pharynx (food passage) & larynx (air passage). The glottis covers the air passage while swallowing. Whole throat is always kept moist & safe by a thin liquid secreted by its mucus membrane lining. Now the basic cause of throat itching is dryness. Dry throat looses its protective mucus layer, thus irritating the nerves under resulting it itching. There are various causative factors for dry throat, one of them is allergy. * The few factors which need your attention & avoidance are- Cold/windy weather, excessive air conditioning/air warming, dehydration/less water consumption, Marijuana/tobacco/cigarette smoking, Industrial pollution, Excessive caffine, alcohol, blocked nose/mouth breathing, throat infection. * Psychological stress, anxiety, depression- As I have already stressed, to have a hold on your thoughts, meditation, concentration, counseling by a psychotherapist, self hypnotism, can help for having positive thoughts *Allergy- Food allergy causes itchy lips, swelling face, hives on upper part of body along with itchy throat. Usually cold, sour, spicy/oily food /food with known allergy are the causative agents. Environmental pollutants like pollens, pet dander, molds, dust mites, because itchy, pink, watery eyes/running nose/asthma along with itchy throat. ** I feel now you can yourself judge which allergy is predominant in your case. In short- - Avoid factors leading to dryness of throat. - drink plenty of water through out the day/Herbal tea with honey helps. -Herbal candies without sugar may be sucked. -breath with mouth closed. -Can use indoor humidifier. - get rid of anxiety, recognize the allergens, avoid them to your best is the wise way I hope this suffices & prove to be helpful& encouraging. I am available for any query in future. Wish you the best! Thanks.