Diagnosed with simple fatty liver. Ultrasound after pelvic pain showed fatty liver. Is it related to binge drinking?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I was diagnosed with simple fatty liver in sep 2011. After which I took some precautions. Symptoms were pain on the right upper quadrant. I had this pain off late for 3 to 4 months and now this oain radiated to pelvic region like a dull ache. I visited a urologist. He said I was fine. But he said to be on safe side he prescribed me to get a ultrasound done. I did this yesterday and the doc who was doing the ultrasound said. Everything is normal but the liver is fatty and is grade 2 fatty liver and he told me it is not reversible but you may control your weight to be safe. This freaked me out. I consume alcohol say erratically. But never on continuous days. I have done binge drinking too. But I mainly drink beer and about 3 to 4 pints. You may say 6 pints in a week. But not daily. I travel a lot eat outside food most of the time. For the past 4 years im out of my hometown and depend only on hotel foods. Now when I heard it has progressed to grade 2, Iam pschyed and I have already decided to quit alcohol. Infact I have quit now. Most of the forums say it is reversible. Reports will come only by tomorrow. Please let me know your view on this. Is this condition too XXXXXXX What are the steps that I should take now to get a normal healthy liver as it was. Im 185cms tall weigh 102 kgs. I shall share the reports tomorrow.
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Quit alcohol and control weight Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX fatty liver is most commonly caused by alcohol. Other causes of fatty liver include diabetes mellitus, obesity, malnutrition and starvation. In your case two risk factors are present= alcohol and obesity (over weight). These two risk factors have probably added up to cause fatty liver. You need to completely quit alcohol and reduce weight. The condition is reversible but you need to work for. Alcohol consumption may finally increase the grade of fatty liver and finally liver cirrhosis which is irreversible. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Diagnosed with simple fatty liver. Ultrasound after pelvic pain showed fatty liver. Is it related to binge drinking? 1 hour later
Here goes the chronology In sep 2011 - fatty liver grade 1 was observed. Controlled the diet, used to have pain at times. Later when I had scanned in february 2013, did a good work out in january 2013, the doctor said after looking at ultrasound report that everything is fine and it is cleared now. In a matter of 9 months without any workout and ofcourse i had food from outside always without keeping an account of the FAT and alcohol at times. Can it progress to grade-2? The doc(another one) earlier in feb said it has cleared. in straight nine months can it go to grade-2? What is the difference between grade-1 and grade-2? What should i be eating now? What kind of work out is suggested? I drink half a litre milk every alternate days since i was a child, is this ok? Can i eat yoghurt and rice everyday for lunch? What all food that I should never eat/ eliminate? Can you please answer my questions and reflect some points on the diet plan that I should be following? Please suggest workouts too? I am planning to join the gym and hit on some weights for serious fat burning sessions.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Correct diet, exercise and avoid alcohol Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, The progression in fatty liver from grade 1 to grade 2 means that the extent of fatty liver has increased. Quantitatively more hepatocytes are involved by the fatty change. Nine months is sufficient time period for up gradation if preventive measures are not followed. Weight loss regime has to be planned and it includes diet plan along with exercises. Diet planning does not mean starvation. It consists of increasing the intake of fluids, fiber and proteins and reduction in amounts of carbohydrates and fats. The daily food has to be divided into five small meals. Breakfast should comprise of fiber rich food items like porridge and a vegetable sandwich. Milk and milk products should be taken in morning hours only. One to two hours later, a fruit e.g. XXXXXXX can be taken. Lunch should have blend of carbohydrates and proteins like dal-rice. You can take fruit in the evening. pulses/ dal. Avoid carbohydrates at night. The working out session can be in the morning or evening as per your convenience. Initially you need to burn away extra fat by doing cardio exercises. After shedding extra fat, you can go for strengthening exercises like lifting weights. Directly going for weight lifting before burning fat will be of no use. You can discuss further details with your instructor according to your body type and other preferences. Avoid taking alcohol because it can worsen your fatty liver. Thanks and take care Dr Shailja P Wahal In dinner, take soups, salads and