Diagnosed with significant neuropathy in feet. Having abnormal protein count in blood. Risk of cancer?

Nov 2013

I have just been diagnosed with significant neuropathy in my feet, while doing the test MY DR. said I have an abnormal protien count in my blood and is setting up an appointment with a hemetologist. Does this mean I am at high risk for having cancer
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

One of the causes of neuropathy is multiple myeloma, a type of cancer. In this condition, there is an abnormal protein, however, at this stage, it is not confirmed, but has to be excluded with other tests. These tests would include serum protein electrophoresis, urine for Bence XXXXXXX protein and a Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad