Diagnosed with shingles. Sudden weakness in legs and arm, ear pain, twitching of eyes. Symptoms of Shingles?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I was diagnosed a couple days ago with shingles. About a week ago my left leg and my left arm are always weak and occassionally will feel like they have gone to sleep and once in awhile my left leg will be so weak it will give out on me and I will fall to the floor. What is going on with me? Please help, im scared to even pick my son up because I dont want to fall with him. I also have excrutiating left ear pain and my left eye always itches and twitches
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of complications of herpes infection. The nerve involvement in shingles can cause muscle weakness, tingling and numbness.The pain in ear and twitches in the eye is suggestive of cranial nerves involvement.
The main treatment involves antiviral drugs like acyclovir and systemic steroids. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.