Diagnosed with shingles. Prescribed tramadol. Taking cyclosporin for severe eczema. Safe to take aciclovir?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hi My son , 19 has been diagnosed with Shingles today . The doctor gave him Tramadol for the pain and Flucloxacillen for some of the lesions seemed infected. He is using cyclosporin , 75mg bd and Mycophenolate 1.5g bd for sever eczema. My question is - Can he use the antiviral drug Aciclovir ,with these medications?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 30 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query,

Acyclovir is known to interact with cyclosporin.
This combination can cause kidney and nerve damage.
So, before starting acyclovir consult your treating doctor for dose adjustment.
When you start with both drugs, remember to drink plenty of water.
Dehydration accelerates the kidney damage.
Diarrhea and vomiting can develop during treatment but drinking plenty of water will correct the dehydration produced by diarrhea and/or vomiting.

Acyclovir and mycophenolate also interact. No harmful effects are produced but a dose adjustment is required before starting acyclovir.

Consult your treating doctor for dose adjustment before starting acyclovir.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal