Diagnosed with severe constipation. Is there any treatment to get relief?

Dec 2012

I habe been diagnosed with Severe Constipation for several years. I contin ue to argue that, since I have to pry hard stool out from above my anal shincter, I can tell that the sphincter is too tight. I have to force a finger thickness through it with lubricant and latex glove to pry out hardened lumps of stool, I sometimes insert a Byscodyl (sp?) suppository after that. Sometimes it produces a small bit of disintegrated stool, but not always. I have been given Liness, a new drug, by a doctor and today, after prying out the hard stuff, I had an explosive, enormous, BM (lots of liquid. I was loopy and disoriented thereafter ! Otherwise I have hardly had a normal BM in at least 3 years. IS THERE ANY TREATMENT OR PROCESS THAT MIGHt RELIEVE THIS TIGHTNESS OF MY SPHINCTER ? I'm 83 but healthy and strong.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting.

Usually one of the direct consequences of severe chronic constipation is hemorrhoid (might not be obvious to you because it might be XXXXXXX and might be the reason for you having the feeling of sphincter tightness). your past medical history is more or less contributive to your constipation.
Let me through more light on your constipation issue especially on the causes.
- Constipation usually result most at times as a result of poor diet. Consumption of food that is too dry with little fluid intake, little fruits, low fiber diets, drinking less water, decreased physical activity
- With increase age, your GIT's peristaltic movements are reduced due to years of activity and aging cells, thus the ability for food to be properly digested is reduced.
- Systemic diseases such as tumors, diebetes, inflammatory bowel diseases etc could also cause constipation
- Metabolic and endocrine problems which may lead to constipation include: hypercalcemia, hypothyroidism, diabetes mellitus, cystic fibrosis, and celiac disease. - Constipation is also common in individuals with muscular and myotonic dystrophy

Your description suggest more of poor diet and low fluids in take.
This implies that your diet needs to be readjusted and you need to increase your fluids consumption to at least 3-4 liters daily ( water therapy). Take medications that help to increase GIT transit such as peridys, debridat and medications for stool softening such as lactulose.
Also be careful with laxatives could result to diarrhea or increase BM and hence you will feel loopy and disoriented due to dehydration.
Since you are lacking water, there is no need to get you loose more water. Avoid beverages that can cause poor transit (alcohol, milk inclusive).
Hope this helps

Dr Nsah