Diagnosed with sciatica. Noticed swelling in ankle. Are these related?

I was diagnosed with sciatica, I have noticed recently that my ankle is swelling. Is this related to my sciatica ? I do stand for long periods of time, due to my work profession. I still have numbness in my leg and in my foot, but the swelling in my ankle has me concerned. I don't feel any pain in my ankle, just the occassional lower back pain and the radiating pain that shoots down my buttock and thigh. Please advice, thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 20 minutes later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
Sciatica is notorious for the severe pain it causes that radiates from the lower back to buttocks and thighs. Swelling can never be due to sciatica.
I have a few queries and I would be glad if you can answer them for me so that I can help you better.
1) Is the swelling present in both the ankles or only on one side?
2) Is it tender to touch?
3) How long has it been?
4) Any history of trauma?
5) Anything that reduces the swelling?
6) Do you see any dilated veins in your leg?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Follow-up: Diagnosed with sciatica. Noticed swelling in ankle. Are these related? 29 minutes later
No it's not tender to the touch, the swelling goes away when I get off my feet or when I take Ibuprophen or Advil, it's only occured within the last couple of weeks. My doctor prescribed a steriod pack when first diagnosed and once I completed the pack both my ankles swole, then no swelling for several weeks. Its only in my right ankle which is the side affected by my sciatica. No trauma, no dilated veins except vericous veins due to working on concrete floors and prolonged standing.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow-up query and clarification of my doubts.
From the description that you have stated it is certain that it is not related to sciatica/trauma.
It could be an onset of the varicose veins which you already have. In varicose veins along with the dilated veins you also have swelling of your ankle. Wearing elastic stockings at work, especially as it involves standing for long hours will be helpful. Also you should consider sleeping with leg side elevated.
If the problem still persists after stockings and leg elevation, then you should get a USG dopler test done to assess the flow of blood in your major veins and to see if there is any obstruction or valve incompetence. Also consider changing the nature of your job which involves standing for long.
It may not be a serious problem and you need not worry. But getting investigated is nothing wrong.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
If you need any further help, I will be more than happy to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.