Diagnosed with sciatic problems and coccygodnia. When can I expect relief?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Have been back to gp after ct scan, findings are minor degenerative disease of the facets at the lower two levels as described. L1 - L2 examined L1 & L2 is consistent with old scheuermann's disease L5/S1 There is small central disc protusion . . Small central disc bulge at the L5/S1 level but no significant compression of neural structures. No fracture shown. However gp states it is sciatic problems and coccygodynia. He has put me on celecoxib capsules 100mg. Have been told to have plenty of rest, limited sitting, limited standing and no cleaning duties. Was told trauma causes the inflammation. How long before I expect relief as symptoms are more debilitating than when first injured. Was told I may need further scans and some injection into the bad spots. (puzzled) Love your 2nd opinion
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

You are suffering from degeneretive disc disease with mild disc bulge at L5S1. As there is no significant compression of nerve roots by bulging disc, it can be managed by conservative management.
Beside medicines to control the pain and inflammation, you need regular back strengthening exercises to strengthen the muscle of the back to decrease your sufferings.
If after physiotherapy, you have no relief in symptoms, you can go for injections in back (epidural injection).
I also suggest you-
Lie on hard bed
Avoid forward bending and lifting heavy object as these activities increases pressure over nerve roots.
Avoid prolonged sitting.

I also advice you to start swimming, as it is good for back conditions. Take healthy diet and drinks a lot of water as dehydration affects disc.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.
Please accept my answer if you do not have further query.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon