Diagnosed with renal upper polar cortical cyst. What does finding mean?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi all,
I will be very greatful if you guide me re left renal upper polar cortical cyst 2.3x2.1cm
What shall I do now?
Please see the attached reports as well. Do I need to do anything else?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 36 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX
I ve seen this report and first there is no need to be concerned. Considering your age, size, shape and position of this cyst this is obviously benign simple cystic lesion. These are commonly found and usually cause no symptoms.This is medium sized cyst and in these cysts malignancy alteration is rare. It can press surrouding tissue but only if bigger than 4-5cm. recomemndations are that it shoud been monitoring on an annual basis. If there is a cyst growth higher than 1cm per year, you should consider removal.But this isnt likely to happen.

Residual urine is related to prostate enlargement,this is moderately enlarged prostate and if you have urinating difficulties you should take certain medicines for prostate hypertrophy if you already dont take it. So now, you dont need to do any other test by my opinion. Just dont worry and do frequent urine analysis and kidney function blood tests(urea,creatinine).
WIsh you good health.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with renal upper polar cortical cyst. What does finding mean? 6 minutes later
Many thanks for the reply DR Romic,
Could you recommend any medications for prostate hyperthepohy as there are a lots of frequent micturation.
Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 18 minutes later
I dont know commercial drug names in your area, but you should start with antiadrenergic peripheral agents (doxasosin or tamsulosin). These have minor side effects and I am sure it would be helpful. consult your urologist or GP about it.
Also try to drink enough fluids(8 glass of ater per day) and uroprotective teas but avoid too much alcohol intake. And do annual check up including PSA(prostate specific antigen) measurements.