Diagnosed with pulmonary tuberculosis. Treatment, cure and precaution to be taken?

my wife has ptb
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 10 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your wife seems to have been diagnosed with Pulmonary Tuberculosis.

2. If sputum afb smear examination or sputum culture for TB is positive, then she is infectious. In such a scenario she needs to follow proper infection control guidelines like wearing of simple surgical masks at all times. Staying away from children. Covering of nose and mouth with elbows while sneezing.

3. She needs to take her medications regularly and also take a highly nutritious diet with high protein content.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist