Diagnosed with pulmonary TB and took wrong dosage. Got lump on neck. Chest pain. What is the maximum dosage of AKURIT?

I was diagnosed of Pulmonary TB in July 2011. Went to a pulmonologist and he prescribed AKURIT 4, 3tabs per day half an hour before breakfast for two months. But due to some confusion I understood as one tablet and I took 1 tab per day for one and half month. Later we got the mistake and started the correct course of 3tabs per day. Meanwhile I got a small lump on my neck. After two months I visited my doc and he asked to shift to RHE-FD now. But a doc on net advised me to take AKURIT-4 for one more month. So I've been taking Akurit 4 and it'll be 3months tomo. I am not sure what to do for any complication like extra pulmonary or any other area other than pulmonary what is the maximum amount that a person can be on this 4 drug AKURIT 4. I still have mild chest pain and some kind of sounds in the neck.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Goyal 16 hours later

Taking only one and a half tablets of ARKUIT-4 per day after being diagnosed as pulmonary tuberculosis in Jul 2011 was a big mistake and you should have visited your doctor regularly to avoid such situations.
The maximum duration of treatment in the intensive phase i.e Akurit -4 is three months. It cannot be extended beyond three months.
Ask your doctor to assess the activity of the disease by chest X-ray, sputum AFB smear examination and fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) from the mass in the neck. If the disease is active, you have to start with CAT 2 treatment afresh. If disease is inactive, continue with continuation phase.

You will need to take isoniazid, rifampicin and ethambutol in the continuation phase. Since these are prescription drugs, they can be only started after you consult your treating physician.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no more follow-up queries.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with pulmonary TB and took wrong dosage. Got lump on neck. Chest pain. What is the maximum dosage of AKURIT? 46 hours later
I consulted my treating physician and he did not ask me to go for any tests but prescribed RHE FD till April. I don't know if he's me treating alright. How is lymph node Tb diagnosed doctor? And doctor I feel very nervous and also I have a feeling that I am mentally not OK.
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Goyal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I still feel that you should under go investigations for activity of disease. For pulmonary tuberculosis best one are sputum smear examination for AFB ( Acid fast bacilli ) on three occasions and chest x-ray. For lymph node tuberculosis Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) and Z.N ( Zeal Neelson ) staining is best

Follow-up: Diagnosed with pulmonary TB and took wrong dosage. Got lump on neck. Chest pain. What is the maximum dosage of AKURIT? 22 hours later
But my AFB came negative even on the initial tests... Should I consult a different physician?
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Goyal 18 hours later

Thanks again for writing back.

I believe you still need to get these investigations done even if initial AFB examination was negative. I understand your doctor is not convinced in performing further tests, hence it's up to you to decide whether you want to change your doctor or take a third opinion.

Wish you speedy recovery. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.