Diagnosed with prostate cancer. Passing urine through pipe. Treatment?

Oncologist
Question
My father who is 45 yeard old was diagonsed with prostate cancer three year back when he had blod in his urine ..
He went to one cancer hospital and they started one injection and medications everymonth..and told that it will be fine at that time his bone scan was also negative..
Recently last month .his urine is stoped as of sudden and now he is passing uring through a pipe and when we contacted doctor they told him to get operated but when he went for operation he was diganosed for heaptitus c and doctor asked first to take treatment for heaptitus c ..so i am confused here ..please can you suggest what is his best options avilable now..yesterday he got bone scan again for which result is waited..
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

You're dealing with a very challenging situation and I will work on providing you with some additional considerations.

From the information you have sent it appears that your father was diagnosed with prostate cancer previously and was treated with injection therapy only. You did not indicate that he had any previous surgery or radiation for the prostate.

If the surgeon thinks prostate cancer is confined to the prostate then surgery would be a consideration. If however they believe the cancer Has spread elsewhere in the body then surgery might not be the best option at this time. I would be sure to discuss with the physicians any additional imaging studies including bone scans or CT scans which have been done to help localize where there might be active prostate disease..

If the surgeons believe that surgery is needed as soon as possible this still might be done in the setting of hepatitis C.

I would wait for the results of the bone scan. If the bone scan indicates that there is prostate cancer within the bones then surgery Would likely be deferred. At that point continued medical therapy for the prostate cancer can be continued in addition to a referral to a liver specialist to discuss treatment for the hepatitis.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know what additional specific concerns you might like to discuss regarding this.

Sincerely,

Dr Galamaga

Follow-up: Diagnosed with prostate cancer. Passing urine through pipe. Treatment? 1 hour later
Thanks a lot ..i will keep updating...

My father bone scan came with the following comments ..however still we did not show it to doctor ..can you let me know if this is negative or positive..

"Both kidney and soft tissue show physiological tracer uptake with urine sathiter in situ"

I am sorry might be this is not enough information which can help to decide result..I will provdie more details today evening.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 34 hours later
Ok. I will await additional information from you.

Dr G

Follow-up: Diagnosed with prostate cancer. Passing urine through pipe. Treatment? 2 days later
Thanks Doctor..
I am not able to upload bon scan reprt here ..is it possible for you to provide any eamil id where i can forward it to you

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 minutes later

You might try mailing them to YYYY@YYYY mention my name and hopefully it will get to me.

Dr Galamaga

Follow-up: Diagnosed with prostate cancer. Passing urine through pipe. Treatment? 7 hours later
Respected dr,
i have sent you email with your name in subject..

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Very sorry, I have not received the attachments yet. Can you resend the report to an alternate email address: YYYY@YYYY
Mention my name "Attn: Dr. Galamaga" on the subject line

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dr Galamaga

Follow-up: Diagnosed with prostate cancer. Passing urine through pipe. Treatment? 10 hours later
Dear Sir,
I have sent again this attachemtn in given mew email with subject you suggested.

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 hours later
Hello and thank you for the report.

I reviewed the findings of the report. The findings are consistent with some metastatic disease in the skeletal regions of The hip and left leg.

If this is truly metastatic prostate cancer then primary prostate surgery is probably not recommended. The doctors might need to confirm that this is metastatic prostate cancer with a biopsy. I would recommend that you have a long discussion with the surgeon or oncologist regarding recommendations.

Thanks again for sending your question. The kidneys and soft tissue noted in the scan are normal.

Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr Galamaga