Diagnosed with pronounced degenerative disc changes at c5/6 and c6/7. Proper treatment?

Hi there I have been diagnosed with pronounced degenerative disc changes at c5/6 and c6/7.I am currently on Lyricia 75mg and do not wish to continue on a continuous basis. I have been offered the option of microscopic surgery .I haven't opted for steroidal injections as I am sceptical of their effectiveness. Could I have your viewpoint on this situation.? I realise that each case is different but would still like your opinion.Previously I had an injection to my hip and this resulted in hospitalisation for over two weeks and was out of work for three months . I was having trouble with my hip and a steroidal injection was suggested.As a result i am wary of them XXXXXXX Finnegan
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
You are right that situation with each and every person is different.
If physical therapy,traction and anti inflammatory medicines have been tried and are not proving to be effective then you must definitely go for microscopic surgery called ad dissectomy.
Modern surgeries have become very advanced and very safe and so there is no worry in resorting to this surgery.
Surgery should make your life very comfortable.
Best of luck.
You are most welcome to ask anything further.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with pronounced degenerative disc changes at c5/6 and c6/7. Proper treatment? 2 hours later
Hi there I noticed in your reply that you did not offer any opinion on injections?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Yes I deliberately did not mention about injections as you are wary of using injections.
In fact if medicines and physical therapy fails,one should definitely give a try for these injections before the final step of surgery because surgery can be planned anytime and all the available resources should be exhausted before the ultimate step of surgery.