Diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis and suffering from prostate cancer. How serious is it?

My 59-year old brother was just diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis and has been told that he should see a liver specialist soon. He also had prostate cancer and had the gland removed in March but is now undergoing radiation treatments because his PSA started to rise. How serious is the PSC diagnosis and should he be taking medicine? His liver enzymes have been high. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. Primary sclerosing cholangitis ( PSC ) is an autoimmune disorder resulting in inflammation of bile ducts inside as well as outside of liver. This persistent inflammation results in blockages of bile ducts which results in stasis of bile which ultimately results in destruction of liver cells leading to biliary cirrhosis. There is no known proven therapy for PSC and the ultimate and proven treatment is liver transplant only.this disease progresses slowly and takes time to get diagnosed. Temporary treatments involved are URSODIOL,vitamins,antibiotics for infection and anti itching medicines,but this treatment doesn't prolong the survival rate. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks