Diagnosed with prediabetis and mild fatty liver. ECG showed mild left axis deviation. Is this a serious condition?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013
Excellent

Question
In January I have done whole body health checkup and diagnosed with prediabetis and mild fatty liver. since then I have changed my life style by working out 1 hour every day but from last one month i am consuming alcohol daily and stopped working out. Yesterday I felt mild pain on my left chest, the pain is at a particular point 1 inch away from left nipple. Today I myself went and done an ECG and I attached the same. ECG report says "mild left axis deviation". Is this a serious condition? What should be my next step?
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 21 minutes later

Thanks for posting query.

Left axis deviation (LAD) is a condition whereby the mean electrical axis of ventricular contraction of the heart lies in a frontal plane direction between -30° and -90°. This is reflected by a QRS complex positive in lead I and negative in leads aVF and II.

I have seen your ECG tracing and it is normal

I have also seen all you parameters and all are normal.

LAD is present in left ventricular hypertrophy and fascicular block. but your ECG is normal and you don't need to worry as left axis deviation may be a normal variant.

Take care,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Diagnosed with prediabetis and mild fatty liver. ECG showed mild left axis deviation. Is this a serious condition? 2 minutes later
can you please suggest my further life style, do i need to go for 2D echo? As i told you I am alcoholic do I need to stop it immediately or stop it gradually?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 20 minutes later

1) If you are smoker then stop smoking. Smoking increases the risk of heart disease.

2) You are at high risk of developing diabetes, then you should avoid extra carbohydrate intake.

3) Do yoga daily and if overweight, then reduce your weight.

4) You should do 30 minutes brisk walk 5days in a week.

5) Keep all parameters: lipid profile, renal function test, thyroid status

6) Yes, you should go for @ D echo to rule out any ventricular hypertrophy.

7) For an alcoholic person, its very difficult to leave suddenly, you can leave it gradually. Although recent studies says that a glass of red wine is beneficial for heart.

Take Care,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Thank you very much.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 minutes later
Thanks XXXXXXX

Get well soon,

Dr. Bhargava

Follow-up: Diagnosed with prediabetis and mild fatty liver. ECG showed mild left axis deviation. Is this a serious condition? 4 hours later
is echo needed immediately i am going for a lipid tomorrow, as i am in a remote place i may not get access to echo for next couple of weeks. please suggest, thanks for your time Bhargava.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 4 hours later

There is as such no emergency need of 2 D Echo.

You can go for it in future.

Take care,

Dr. Mayank