Diagnosed with pre-sacal mass at the end of tailbone near rectum and uterus. Surgery needed?

Oncologist, Surgical
My question is for a surgical oncologist.

My mother has been diagnosed with a pre-sacal mass during a MRI test which is located at the end of the tailbone and in very near proximity to the rectum and uterus. We have consulted a surgical oncologist in Hyd and he suggested that she undergoes a surgery to get the lump removed immediately but has also said that given the closeness to rectum there are chances that during the surgery they may have to remove certain area of rectum and will need to perform colostomy. I wanted to get a second opinion on the diagnosis.

I am attaching the MRI report to the query.

Appreciate your help and time.

Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Malignant growth involving the lower back

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your mother's problem. Your clinical description of the lump and the MRI clearly point towards a malignant growth involving the lower back. This requires surgery and as it is close to the rectum and uterus, they might be involved as well. The MRI does not mention whether the plane between the growth and the rectum and uterus are intact or infiltrated by the growth. Perhaps you can clarify this with the radiologist.
If the plane between the two is not maintained, there is high probability that the rectum might be involved and will require removal during surgery. If the rectum is removed, there is no option but to create a colostomy.
Depending on the report, she might require additional treatment in the form of chemotherapy or radiotherapy.

I hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to clarify any other query.