Diagnosed with pre-diabetic. Taking medication for high cholesterol. What diet should I take?

I'm 58 years old, female and recently had a cholesterol test come back at 245 and my Dr. said I'm pre-diabetic at 126. He said "just cut down on sugars and starches, don't make it complicated". I have no family history of diabetes but my mother and her mother heart disease. I don't drink or smoke I"m 5'10 at 179 lbs. Since the tests I've cut down sugar&starches, increased fiber and exercise-in general better eating habits. Should I be on a more restricted diet? Should I be on medication for high cholesterol? I"m concerned my Dr. was in a hurry and didn't give proper advice- I got the results by phone only after I called several times.
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 26 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

High fasting glucose is a variant of Diabetes.
For proper diagnosis, ideal option is to do GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test)
At least 2 hour level after a 75 gram of glucose is a must.
HbA1C should also be done at the same time.

245 is total cholesterol.
Lipid profile must be done – HDL (good) and LDL (bad) cholesterol / Triglyceride – all must be measured.

Proper treatment needs proper diagnosis.
Proper diagnosis need appropriate investigations.

Management starts with life style modifications – diet and exercise
Re-check in 6 to 8 weeks / if not in range, drugs should be initiated.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck