Diagnosed with polyliesthesis, torn meniscus, degenerative disc disease and oesteoarthritis of spine. Suggestions?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
have spent my life doing many office jobs (no activity) and many men's type jobs (heavy lifting, moving objects, digging post holes, etc.) as second and third jobs. Now I have been diagnosed with: polyliesthesis, torn meniscus (resected), degenerative disc disease, oesteoarthritis of spine, spinal/cervical stenosis, oesteophytes in hip socket (from broken pelvis), and ridiculopathy, among other things. Now my left foot and ankle is swelling whenever I spend much time upright. This is the side of the torn miniscus (and Baker's cyst) and hip problem. leg not swelling, just foot/ankle. Am very active even tho am now retired - am caregiver for disabled mom-in-law who lives across street. do lot of walking back and forth and house/yard work at both houses. I cannot go for exercise walks as it puts too much stress on spine ( I broke neck and spine in car wreck and tore most of muscles in back - being upright causes spine to pull sideways due to scar tissue - causing much pain in upper/lower back and shoulders/neck. also, sometimes it feels like the hip is popping out of socket. could all of this cause my left ankle to be swollen< Have always restricted salt intake, take niacin based med for familial hyperlipidemia, have no other health problems. Is the hard life just catching up with me - I am 65, retired 3 years ago (mostly due to company down-sizing). Oh, almost forgot, have grade 3 cystocele supposedly corrected by MMK 5 years ago. What gives, and what to do?
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
After going through the elaborate and lengthy description, I could understand that you are concerned about the ankle and foot swelling.

At the outset, I would like to tell you that all your previous injuries and hard work has nothing to do with your recently developed ankle and foot swelling.

As per your description, If you are getting swelling of ankle and foot after having spent sometime in upright position, then it could be physiological (normal) dependent oedema. But the dependent oedema (swelling) usually develops in both ankles and foot (Bilateral). In your case, its only the left side.

Localized swelling limited to a unilateral (single side) extremity could be due to
VENOUS or LYMPHATIC OBSTRUCTION. The common causes could be
* Primary lymphedema
* Deep venous thrombosis to be ruled out
* Tumour obstruction -rare possibility
* local inflammation in the ankle or subtalar joints

So, considering your age and the associated comorbidities, I personally feel that you need an evaluation to rule out all the possible causes before considering it as normal.

Hope i have addressed your query. Happy to help if you need any more clarifications. Good day