Diagnosed with pneumonia, had drips of levaquin. What is medical terminology for upper lobe infiltrate?

What does right upper lobe infiltrate mean? I was in hospital 3 days last week diagnosed with pneumonia. This was on my discharge paper. I had 3 IV drips of Levaquin. Dr prescribed same by mouth for 10 more days. On my follow up visit to doctor's office I saw his partner who said only 5 days of Levaquin. What is the protocol for treating pneumonia with Levaquin? I am 86 yrs old. Have had pneumonia 3 times before. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for this query.

I am Dr. Ditah and I feel honored having the opportunity to answer your health questions today. I am so sorry to hear you have pneumonia and have had it thrice before. I am however happy that you are receiving treatment and feeling better already.

Infiltrates represent lung changes consistent with the diagnosis of pneumonia on Chest X-Rays or CT scans. Right upper lobe describes the location of this infiltrate. So this is where the lung tissue is infected.

The duration of treatment of pneumonia with levaquin is not a standard number of days. It varies depending on the severity of the condition as perceived by your treating doctor. It could be administered for 5-14days depending on the severity of the disease and the germ responsible .
I will advise you to stick with what the first doctor prescribed because he saw you when you were still very sick and could tell how severe this was to make the right duration suggestions to you. also, given your age of 86 and your history of 3 previous pneumonia infections, I will side with him on treating you very well over this duration. However, you may want to call him and ask if this were truly his decision to treat for this long and what his reasons were, too.

As a reminder, please remember to drink much water as you take this drug so as to limit the side effects.

I hope this answers your questions and provide guidance on how to continue.
Please, feel free to return to me and ask for more information if need be.
I wish you a speedy recovery and good health.
Dr. Ditah, MD.